Does Using Jojoba-Oil Infused Hair Color Give You Soft, Silky Hair?
What is Jojoba oil?
The pure form of jojoba oil is obtained from the jojoba seed. Jojoba plants are found mainly in Arizona, California and Mexico. The jojoba seed is made up of approximately 50% oil in terms of its weight.
The seeds are first removed and then pressed to produce unrefined jojoba oil. It is processed as per the mandate given by the U.S. Department of Agriculture's National Organic Program (USDA NOP). It is usually grown as a pesticide-free plant.
Though it is termed as oil, jojoba is a liquid wax. It is also referred to as wax ester. Jojoba esters are created by hydrogenating jojoba oil.
The molecular structure of jojoba oil is exceptionally similar to that of the natural oil present in the skin of human beings.
Unrefined jojoba oil is pale yellow and comes with a nutty aroma while the refined variety is clear and has no odour.
Jojoba oil has a better shelf-life than other oils such as almond oil, sunflower, canola, etc.
Characteristics of Jojoba oil
Jojoba oil or technically, the wax is odourless. It is unlikely to reek or stink over time. Also, waxes being softer than oils melt at lower temperatures. This makes it suitable to be used in beauty care products.
Additionally, jojoba oil exhibits extraordinary similarity to the natural oils produced by human skin. It provides long-lasting moisture and improves the general feel of one’s skin.
Vitamin E and B and minerals such as zinc, copper and chromium are present in jojoba oil which helps nourish and protect skin at the same time.
Uses of Jojoba oil
Due to the above-mentioned aspects, jojoba esters are commonly used in several cosmetic preparations. It is universally used in cosmetic products such as shampoos, lotions for the body, face and hand, lipsticks, hair dyes, etc.
Jojoba oil has high oxidative stability which makes it another reason for being chosen for many products and medicines as an emollient. This oil is best suited for all and even compatible for people with allergy sensitivities.
Since it is a very good moisturising agent, it is also perfect for most do-it-yourself (DIY) recipes and tips.
To get the maximum benefit from jojoba oil it is advisable to purchase an organic and unrefined version of it. The unrefined form of jojoba oil will have more nutrients and is a more effective option than refined and processed jojoba oil.
Jojoba oil and hair colours
Our head has a lot of hair shafts.
Each shaft is covered with the minute scales of cuticles overlapping each other which look very similar to fish scales or feathers of birds.
When you color your hair these cuticle scales open up creating gaps for the color to penetrate and settle.
Sometimes, depending on the health and strength of your hair, these gaps will let all vital nutrients and moisture to evaporate and escape.
This might result in dry and frizzy hair.
To prevent this from happening, we need to take extra care of our hair and ensure that it is moisturised all the time.
When the hair follicles retain moisture, the hair looks more vibrant and is, in general, healthy and strong.
Deep conditioning your hair is one such way to retain moisture.
However, the best option is to choose hair dyes that have jojoba oil in them.
Being a known emollient, jojoba oil can easily penetrate every part of your hair – the shaft, cuticles, follicles, etc. – and ensure that the colour and the moisture are locked in and the hair doesn’t become more damaged or frizzy.
Benefits of Jojoba oil in your hair colour
The moisturisation feature of jojoba oil is world-famous. This widespread recognition and increasing consumer preference for jojoba oil in beauty care products, has made it an active part of skin and hair care labels worldwide.
With hair colour being widely used by people who are 18 years and above, adding a natural ingredient like jojoba oil in the hair dyes makes it even more attractive and safe for everyone to use.
- Long-lasting hair colour – Jojoba oil helps protect the colour applied in your hair against the elements that cause it to fade. Being non-greasy and very light in terms of weight, jojoba oil mist can be used in your hair as a mist before stepping out for a swim. It will help fight chlorine and other colour stripping agents found in the pool water. The moisturisation it gives makes the hair more vibrant and shiny.
- Strong and well-hydrated hair – Being a natural emollient, jojoba oil is made of small molecules that seals the cracks present on the hair cuticle surface. It penetrates well into the hair follicles and spreads the colour evenly while also hydrating the hair shaft pretty deeply. It keeps hair tangle-free and more manageable as well.
- Stimulates hair growth – Many people assume that usage of hair dyes will lead to hair fall and hence have double thoughts before applying color on their hair. This can be put to rest with selecting hair colors infused with jojoba oil. Jojoba oil is proven to contain hair loss caused by abnormal scalp conditions and/or lack of nutrition. It helps follicles grow new hair. The many vitamins, minerals, fatty acids and proteins present in jojoba oil are necessary for hair growth and nourish the scalp thereby improving its overall health.
- Naturally safe, balanced and healthy hair – Jojoba oil has a very similar molecular structure to sebum, which is an oily secretion of the sebaceous glands present in our body. This feature of the oil helps in maintaining a natural balance in the hair and scalp without making it look too oily, thus giving a vibrant and lively look to your colored hair.
- Best hair protector – When included in hair care products, jojoba oil serves as an excellent hair protector when compared to any other ingredients. It prevents even the slightest chemicals present in hair colors from stripping off the natural oil from your hair.
Jojoba oil provides overall care, conditioning, and moisture, making the hair feel soft, supple and smooth. So, even when coloring your hair, choosing hair colors that have natural extracts of jojoba oil in them will be beneficial for you in the long run.
Our recommendation for maximum benefit
The presence of jojoba oil will enhance your hair condition and provide great coverage to your stubborn grey hair.
It also helps protect your hair and give a naturally vibrant and glossy effect post the coloring process.
We all have our fair share of bad hair days and hair troubles, but there is no need to worry any more. Even a small amount of jojoba oil present in hair colors will do wonders to your hair.
Choosing hair products and importantly, hair dyes with jojoba oil in them, will be a great addition to your hair care regimen.
You can be assured of well-conditioned, strong, shiny and manageable hair. The benefits of choosing hair colors with jojoba oil extract in them are immense.
Let us engage in beauty treatments without compromising on health!